|Assemblage by Laura Lein Svencner|
materials: found objects, gesso, mixed media, wire, gel medium, prints, cardboard, & acrylic paint
design + concept: What is your theme? What 3-4 colors will you work with for this design? What objects + imagery will you use to communicate your theme?
1) CONCEPT | List 5+ themes for your project then choose your favorite + list materials.
a. Use visual metaphors, words, + symbols on the surface.
b. Choose a color scheme of 3-4 COLORS to work with related to your idea.
2) Paint a layer of gesso on the surface of your object and allow it to dry.
3) VARIETY | Search National Geographic mags for 3-10 images that relate to your idea + colors of interest.
a. Rip edges and sand image in two directions to make it look weathered.
4) Find 1-2 pattern papers that complement your idea, colors, + imagery. Rip off pieces that vary in size (6”x6”-1”x1”) to cover object.
5) COLOR + SHAPE | Arrange photos + pattern paper in a balanced + unified composition.
a. Apply a clear layer of gel medium on object, place down paper, and apply a second layer of gel medium on top. Allow to dry.
b. Brush transparent colors (gel medium + drop of color) all over artwork considering color BALANCE, UNITY, VARIETY, + CONTRAST.
6) Add a third layer of painted patterns, images, and fields of color.
7) TEXTURE | Adhere 4-10 3D items (beads, toys, plants, etc) using a dab of gel medium beneath the objects.
8) FOCAL POINT | Print 2 small (1”x1”) and 1 large (3”x3”) black graphics for a focal point about your idea. WARNING: image will be backwards when applied!
a. Search Google Images + show me for approval first.
b. Print all images on provided paper, cut along very edge removing all white paper, apply a 3 layers of polymer on top of graphic.
c. Paint polymer onto object surface, allow to dry, then iron image face down onto object.
d. Soak paper with water (sponge/brush) and carefully slide off backing.
9) CRAFT + UNITY | Apply a layer of polymer over entire piece. Allow to dry and use an iron to seal all edges.